Art deco is a visual art, architectural and design style from the 1920s and 1930s. This decor style has its roots in America and Europe. The art deco designs are distinguished for their bold, sleek geometrical patterns, symmetrical motifs, vibrant, and contrasting hues. The art deco style for interiors has come a long way and still continues to hold significance among its admirers.
If you want to find more about art deco interior design, plunge through this article.
The Characteristics of Art Deco
- Geometric patterns: The art deco-style interior designs primarily feature simple, clean shapes, angular lines, symmetry, vertical lines, and other geometric elements.
- Large-sized furniture: TheArt deco style focuses on a luxe vibe therefore it has generously sized furniture pieces that boast of extravagant style and space.
- Recycled products: The art deco products are made using a combination of metals such as glass and timber, glass and marble, brass and stainless steel. This mix of metals provides us the accessories and decor items that infuse functionality with artistic style.
The Colours of Art Deco
The art deco style uses bold and striking colors. These colors are often used in combination with high-shine silver, black accents, and chrome palettes. The primary art deco style colors include:
- Contrasting shades of black and silver, golden yellow and red, black and grey, white and grey, pink and blue, and so on.
- Subtle shades of cream.
- And other bright colors such as deep reds, yellows, greens, blues, and pinks.
- Neutral colors on polished wood and lacquered furniture are generally common to this style.
The Popular Art Deco Style Motifs
The art deco style inspired picture frames, furniture, and other decor accessories feature a certain specific types of motifs, which include:
- Sweeping curves
- Trapezoidal shapes
- Triangular shapes
- Zigzag patterns
- Chevron patterns
- Stepped forms
- Sunburst shapes.
- Stylized wildlife.
- Jagged pointed edges
- Sensuous and abstract patterns.
Common Materials Used in Art Deco Style
The art deco furnishings and accessories made use of gold and steel. The common materials that defined this particular style include:
- Stainless steel, chrome, lacquer, mirror accents for accessories and furnishings.
- High-end upholstery linens such as velvet, animal prints, and zebra skin have a luxurious appeal.
- Furnishing and accessories with metallic, earthy elements and made of expensive materials such as zebrawood, marble, brass, or ebony.
The Art Deco Style Lighting
The best way to infuse the luxury of art deco style into your home is to install its characteristic light fixtures. The art deco lighting has unique detailing and generally features geometric and coherent patterns. The common design elements found in room decor lights from this style are:
- Clean silhouettes with minimal detailing.
- Aerodynamic design with fine modernistic lines.
- Fanned out shapes.
- Elongated or stepped shapes representative of skyscrapers.
- Fixtures exuding hues composed of chrome or etched glass.
This is all about the bold, vibrant art deco style. With its unique look and feel, art deco is a perfect luxury to own. This decor style revolves around exquisite detailing that screams luxury. So, if you crave luxury, this is the style you ought to own.