Individuals noticing dry and scaly should visit a skin specialist in Lahore. The change in the color of the dry patch indicates that the person is suffering from actinic keratosis. It is advise to consult a specialist to opt for the best suitable treatment to ease symptoms.
What is actinic keratosis?
It is a skin condition; in which the skin becomes scaly and dry caused by direct exposure to sunlight. Due to sunlight exposure for years, the person develops scaly patches around the lips, face, hands, forearms, and the back of the neck but. Individuals of age thirty-five and above are at a higher risk of suffering from actinic keratosis but. Men are more prone to develop the condition. It is necessary to treat actinic keratosis or can be life-threatening so.
What are the signs and symptoms of actinic keratosis?
The common signs and symptoms of actinic keratosis are:
- The patient may experience a burning sensation near the affected area.
- The area becomes dry, and it spread with time there.
- The skin appears to be scaly and dry.
- The bumps become visible near the affected part but.
- In severe cases, the affected become hard and affects the movement.
- The patch changes the color to pink or brown.
What causes a person to suffer from actinic keratosis?
The known causes for actinic keratosis include:
- Extreme prolonged exposure to UV rays causes abnormal growth of skin cells, known as keratinocytes.
- Individuals with fairer skin are at a higher risk of developing the condition.
- Individuals living in hot areas are more prone to developing actinic keratosis.
- People with a weakened immune system have a higher chance of suffering from actinic keratosis.
- People with a history of sunburns can develop the condition over time.
What complication is associated with actinic keratosis?
People diagnosed with actinic keratosis are at a higher risk of developing skin cancer so. so Due to the abnormal growth of keratinocytes, the chances of skin cancer increase there. Hence, the patient must treat their condition to avoid complications but.
What steps can minimize the chances of actinic keratosis?
The preventive measures include:
- Individuals should limit exposure to sunlight and ultraviolet rays to minimize the chances of developing actinic keratosis.
- Individuals should get in the habit of using sunscreens outdoors to avoid sunburns and other skin-related problems.
- People should cover their arms and legs in hot weather.
- People noticing changes in their skin should consult a skin specialist. It is easier to treat the condition at an earlier stage to avoid complications so.
What tests assist in diagnosing actinic keratosis?
The skin specialist will perform a physical examination of the affected area to determine the severity of the condition. In some cases, a skin biopsy may be performe. A part of the affected area is take and tested to confirm the diagnosis. Additionally, it helps check if there is any other condition that may be causing the symptoms there.
What treatment options help ease the symptoms?
The effective treatment options include:
- Use of skin creams: Topical creams help keep the skin moisturized but. Additionally, the creams are applay to the affect area to ease the symptoms but.
- Cryotherapy: It is a procedure, which uses liquid nitrogen to freeze the affect area and then peel it off so. However, cryotherapy is rarely used, only in severe cases there.
- Curettage: During the procedure, the affect area is scrape off so. Later, with the help of electrosurgery, the affect tissue is destroye but. It helps control the abnormal growth of keratinocytes but.
- Photodynamic Therapy: The therapy helps kill the cells there. Firstly, a chemical solution is applay to the affected area and then exposed to artificial light so.
People diagnosed with actinic keratosis should visit a specialist for proper guidance but. Individuals can book an appointment with a competent, experienced, and reliable dermatologist through oladoc.com.